Follow Me on Pinterest

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

"Mom! How do you spell 'puke?' I already got the 'P!'" Encouraging Reading

      While sitting on my couch the other day I got this question shouted from the other room: "Mom! How do you spell 'puke?' I already got the 'P!'" While some may have pondered the query I didn't even flinch. Both of my children (ages 3 and 4) have begun hurling words at me from all corners of the house. Both of my children spend a great deal of time writing nonsense babble and delight in my jarbled attempts at "reading" their creations. Both of my children love books.
      I think, in part, I am blessed with curious, intellegent little children, but I have strategically done a few things to ensure that they view books (and learning from them) as a fun AND necessary part of everyday life.

1. MAKE SURE THEY CAN'T GET AWAY FROM THEM.

      Make sure they can't get away from books. In my perfect world there would be cute little bookshelves lining every room of my house with enticing stories carefully placed on book stands so that the attention of every little passing person would be captured instantly by vibrant pictures on every cover. I seriously think I would be okay with this scenario, but since this is not the definition of my husband's perfect world we have come up with some compromises. Even if you do not own a single bookshelf you can find places to keep books accessible to your young children. An easy one for me is on the ledge of the bay window in our "office."
      We do have a bookshelf in their playroom, but I have serious issues with only being able to see the spine of the books. (They can't see by the tiny words on the spine--that they can't yet read--whether they'd be interested in picking it up or not.) Any sort of shelf or ledge where you can perch even one book is beneficial. In order to trick your children into picking up books, however, a little more creativity goes a long way. You can line books up against a wall on the floor, next to their bed, and yes, even in the restroom. Little people go "number two" just like the rest of us. Generally when we are going anywhere in the car I'll also allow them to pick a book to take. The more you expose them to books the more success you will have in perking their interest.

2. MAKE THEM "READ" BEFORE THEY CAN READ.

     What is the point of looking at all of these books when you can't read them? Aside from the obvious (allowing them to create stories uses their imagination and increases sequencing skills) it simply makes them WANT to learn how to read. I read books to Raulee. Raulee 'reads' books to me. Aubree 'reads' books to Raulee. Everybody reads or 'reads' to everyone else. While I am reading with Aubree I will pick one word that occurs several times and allow her to read that word every time it comes up. At this point she knows about twenty words by sight and I make sure she is allowed to read those if they arise. When we see common signs (Stop, etc.) I ask them to read them. While reading recipes or other pertinent information I ask them to 'read' the ingredients. They spell the words to me and I sound them out with them. Another tactic we've used recently is allowing them time to 'read' after I read them their bedtime story. We give them fifteen minutes at the end of the night to 'read' whatever they wish. Both girls sit on their beds and tell stories that correspond to whatever pictures they're seeing.

3. MAKE THEM UNDERSTAND THAT BOOKS ARE USEFUL.

      Being exposed to a variety of books is crucial, in my opinion, to creating a love of learning. Allow your children to watch you utilize books. Do you use a recipe book in the kitchen? Do you enjoy fictional novels that help you relax? Do you or your significant other subscribe to a magazine that you actually find useful? The internet has all but killed the necessity for actual paper books these days, but I encourage you to find and use books while your children watch in order to show them that books are important to you.
      Books are useful in other ways for young children. I have found countless books at the library that I know will make my children think about themselves and their surroundings. We have read many books on manners, soccer, fathers, relationships with siblings and parents, and where we live or have lived. Giving them stories or factual books that they can relate to really opens their eyes as to what they can gain from a book. It opens up the oppurtunities to have serious talks about issues they may be facing. Silly stories that make no sense are also great, but I like to get at least three or four books a week that they can apply to their own lives.

4. PRAISE ANYTHING THEY WRITE. EVEN IF IT'S "FPVX2R."

      As previously mentioned, my kids love to write random letters together and have me read them. They have begun to understand that what they are writing has an actual meaning. Aside from these writing exercises (which they obviously don't see as work) I encourage them to write what they are drawing. I patiently spell any word they want whenever they want me to. Even if it's 'puke' on a picture of a monster puking. At their age, sitting down at a table and writing A, a, B, b on dotted lines is not valuable in my opinion. Raulee still writes the same twelve letters over and over. And I let her. She's learning. She's progressing at her own pace.


      Aside from these things we do other games like naming something that starts with each letter of the alphabet or they name which letter I draw. etc. And I allow them to read anywhere they feel like reading even if it's the kitchen floor.


      There is no perfect formula for teaching your child to read, but enthusiam about books and encouragement no matter how fast they're progressing can spark a child's interest and open the door to a world of books.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE the idea of putting books in each room and making sure the front cover shows....that's great. I'll be on the lookout for small book stands/plate stands to use in my classroom and for my own future kiddos.
    Check out "Reading Magic" by Mem Fox. She's the author of picture books like "Harriet, You'll Drive Me Wild," "Feathers and Fools," and "Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge." I have read this book a few times and get new facts from it each time - you already know the importance of reading to your girls but I think it's something you'd enjoy. It's a quick read, honestly, but not being a parent yet myself I feel like it gave me some more insight on ways to discuss the importance of reading with parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Vanessa! I will definitely look into that.

    ReplyDelete